LANAP Laser Periodontal Procedures
Periodontal Laser Services Gaithersburg MD
Another recent development in periodontal treatment is the use of laser to regenerate tissue. Utilizing the body’s own natural ability to “heal itself”, Dr. Hadeed utilizes the PerioLase™ for the Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP™). Performed without a scalpel and sutures, LANAP™ creates an environment for regeneration of the tissues around your teeth (gum, bone, cementum, ligament) that are lost due to periodontal disease.
The laser therapy works by targeting only diseased gum, which it discerns by the color. Diseased gums are darker than healthy gums. The laser is then used to agitate the healthy tissue, encouraging it to reattach to the bone. Because of the regrowth of this connective tissue, there is also a much lower chance of gum disease returning than with traditional surgery.
Due to the ability of the laser to target and remove only diseased tissue, Dr. Hadeed is able to help restore you to health with no post-operative pain and fewer side effects and risks than traditional surgery. This is in conjunction with a detailed homecare program that is described below.
LANAP™ Post-Operative Instructions
- Anti-microbial rinses and antibiotic medications may be prescribed for you. Take any prescribed medications according to directions and continue taking until all meds are gone.
- Reduce physical activity for several hours following surgery.
- Periodontal laser procedures usually result in little or no discomfort following surgery.
- For the first 24 hour period immediately following surgery, take two (2) Advil or Motrin (Ibuprofen) every 4-6 hours even if you do not have any pain.
- For the first 24 hour period immediately following surgery, stay on a liquid diet only. For the following 3-7 days after surgery, a soft diet is recommended. Try to eat soft but nutritious foods such as eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, malts, ice cream, etc. Stay away from spicy and “chippy” foods. It is also important to maintain good fluid intake during this period.
- Carefully avoid chewing food in the areas of the mouth where the laser has been used for at least one week following surgery. One of the most important results of laser surgery is the blood clots that form following surgery. It is extremely important not to dislodge the tiny clots that form in and around the gums.
- Do not be alarmed with any color changes or appearance of tissues following laser therapy. Tissues can be gray, yellow, red, blue, purple, “stringy” and reflect normal response to laser treatments.
- It is OK to spit, rinse, and wash your mouth today. Rinse as directed with Peridex or Periogard morning and night. In between, it is OK to rinse gently every three (3) hours with warm salt water (½ teaspoon of salt dissolved in an 8-oz. glass of warm water). Do not brush or floss your teeth until instructed to do so (see Treatment and Home Care sequence sheet).
- Try to keep your mouth as clean as possible in order to help the healing process. Brush, floss, and follow other home care measures in all the areas of your mouth except for the surgery area.
- Do not apply excessive tongue or cheek pressure to the surgery area.
Do not be alarmed if one of the following occurs:
- Light bleeding
- Slight swelling
- Some soreness, tenderness, or tooth sensitivity
- Medicinal taste, from Peridex or Periogard
Please call the office at Gaithersburg Office Phone Number 301-330-5000 if you are experiencing any of the following signs and symptoms:
- Prolonged or severe pain
- Prolonged or excessive bleeding
- Considerably elevated or persistent temperature
Do not be alarmed that beginning within two weeks after therapy and extending as long as one year or more, the teeth may become sore, tender, or sensitive as the bone and ligaments around the teeth regenerate and become more firm. This is a sign of healing, but may also indicate the presence of a bite imbalance that may need to be adjusted.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us! Gaithersburg Office Phone Number 301-330-5000
Aesthetic Laser Periodontics & Dental Implants
Who knew that going to a periodontist could actually be fun? Dr. Hadeed makes great conversation-- as well as being kind, conscientious and a master of his profession. He also followed up by phone nearly every day (kind of like a Jewish mother) to see just how I was doing. And I would also like to applaud Tracie, his hygienist, who's clearly reached the height of her craft. Together, they made what I thought would be horror show into a pretty happy time.
- Lisa Y
I knew that my gums were in bad shape and I had a lot of deep pockets and not the good kind! Conventional treatments like deep cleanings were no longer working and I needed more aggressive treatment. My dentist, Dr. Bernard Greenbaum, recommended that I get a consultation with Dr. Hadeed. It was really convenient that I got to have the consultation at Dr. Greenbaum's office. Dr. Hadeed is very affable. He finds a way to relate to patients and put them at ease. He assessed that I would be an excellent candidate for the LANAP laser treatment. Dr. Hadeed was very good at explaining in great detail how the procedure worked and what it would cost. He also explained that treatment for the whole mouth would be split across two sessions. I really liked that I could start the sessions in a couple of weeks. Dr, Hadeed and Tracie went to great lengths to ensure that I was comfortable and pain free during the procedure. He tries very hard to establish a rapport and relate to you. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the procedure went. By the time I had the second round, it almost felt as though I was hanging out with old friends. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr, Hadeed to anyone; he is that good.
- Dave W
I just completed gum surgery and the LANAP Laser Therapy with Dr. Hadeed. I was very impressed with the professionalism and expertise of both Dr. Hadeed and his wife and assistant, Tracie. Both were exactly in tune with my needs during the procedure itself. Everything was thoroughly explained. After the procedure I had very little pain or discomfort, probably directly due to the skills of my doctor. I highly recommend this practice!
- Mark C
I came into Dr Hadeed's office feeling overwhelmed, knowing that I needed advance work done because of my periodontal disease diagnosis. I was a nervous wreck because periodontal disease is something that I have been dealing with for a while. I use to receive treatment at another dental office, but felt neglected as a patient and lost hope of ever getting well. On my first, day when I walked in I was greeted with smiling faces all excited to see me; my nerves were eased because of the warm welcome I received. Even booking my appointment was a smooth process. Tracy was so understanding, helpful and patient on the phone as she worked with my schedule to make my appointment. I am simply overwhelm because of the amazing care I have received. Dr Hadeed and Tracy truly care for the whole person; mind, body and spirit. Not once did I feel as if I was just another patient that they had to get through. They took their time to explain everything to me to make sure I understood all that was going on. I received phone calls and text messages over the weekends (when they weren't in the office and didn't have to take time out of their schedule) regarding my care and what the next stages were. As I began my laser treatment, I was at peace because I knew that I was in the best hands. The level of pain I have experienced since beginning my treatment has been so low that I forget that I'm at the dentist. Throughout my laser treatment they made sure I was comfortable and at ease. When I had a concern they stopped and addresses my concern before proceeding. I never thought I would say this, but for the first time in my life, I do not dread going to the dentist. In fact I look forward to going to Dr Hadeed's office because I know that they truly care about me and will do everything in their power to make sure that I am getting world class assistance in my fight with periodontal disease. I'm so thankful that I have found Dr Hadeed and Tracy and their amazing staff. Thank you so much for your smiles, love, expertise, and care. No where else would I have received such amazing care like I have with you all. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- Joanna T
I have undergone several oral osseous surgeries, both with Dr. Hadeed and elsewhere. For my most recent procedure, Dr. Hadeed recommended a LANAP procedure, which uses a laser. LANAP is considerably easier for the the patient than traditional osseous surgery, involving significantly less pain both during and after the procedure. In addition, I noticed less tissue shrinkage with the LANAP, something Dr. Hadeed verified was normal with LANAP. I highly recommend LANAP surgery when a skilled practionner recommends it. Dr. Hadeed and his staff are expert in the use of this leading edge technology. Highly recommended!
- Sook M